Microsoft regularly releases windows updates with security enhancements, feature improvements, and various bug fixes. And usually whenever new updates are available your device automatically downloads and installs them on your device only you need to reboot your PC to apply them. But sometimes you might experience, windows 11 update taking too long to download or install on your device, or it’s stuck downloading. A number of users reported that Windows 11 KB5022303 download is stuck, Windows Updates are taking Forever to Install, or windows 11 update installation has failed no error code. Here in this article, we try to find out the reason behind windows update problems and how to fix them.
Windows 11 update stuck downloading
So what causes windows update stuck downloading or fail to install? There are several factors that can be responsible for causing this issue It could be your internet connection that is making the download longer. Again you may run out of storage space in between updates, corrupted system files or third-party antivirus applications also may cause Windows 11 Update Stuck to download or fail to install.
Now let’s move to the solutions but before moving forward, we recommend restarting your device and check for windows updates again. When you reboot your device that refreshes the operating system and clears temporary glitches that might be causing or prevent windows updates apply on your system.
Again sometimes external devices, conflict with the update and do not allow it to go through. Let’s disconnect the non-critical one such as printers, speakers, microphones, and other such devices, while only leaving the basic ones, such as the keyboard, mouse, and monitor.
Here is the trick work for most users:-
- Open the command prompt as administrator, type the command SC config trustedinstaller start=auto and hit the enter key,
- Once the command is executed, restart your PC and check for windows updates again.
Check the Internet connection
The next thing you should check is the internet connection. Because you need a stable internet connection to download windows updates from the Microsoft server. In addition to this Disconnect VPN, if configured on your device and temporarily disable or uninstall third-party antivirus.
Also, check and make sure, the system drive (Usually the C drive) has enough free space to download and store windows updates. Or run the disk clean-up tool to free up some space on your computer.
Pro Tip– Start windows in a clean boot state and check for windows updates that help fix the problem if third-party service or software conflict prevents windows 11 update download.
Run windows Update Troubleshooter
Run the built-in windows Update Troubleshooter that detects problems or glitches prevents windows updates download or install on your device and try to fix them automatically for you.
- Firstly, launch the Start menu and click on the Settings app.
- Inside Settings, select the System and click on the Troubleshooter option.
- Then you can select the Other troubleshooters and click on the Run tab next to the Windows Update option.
- The troubleshooter will check for problems that could cause Windows Update to fail — like incorrect security settings, missing or corrupted files, or problems with services.
- Once done, restart the system and install the discussed update.
Reset Windows Update Service
Sometimes resetting the Windows Update Service will help you to install the latest updates on your system.
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc and click ok to open the Services window on your computer,
- In the new screen, scroll down to select and right-click on the Windows Update, then select Properties from the sub-menu.
- Inside the properties window, set the Startup type as Automatic and click start next to Service status as Running and click apply
- If the windows update service is already running right click on it and select restart,
- Finally, you will be able to install the discussed update on your system.
Reset Windows Update Component
If any of the above solutions did not help to fix windows Update problems on your device, then you should reset Windows Update Components. That clears the windows update cache and forces the download fresh update files from the Microsoft server.
- Open the windows service console using services.msc. Locate the windows update service right click on it select stop,
- Now open file explorer using windows key + E and navigate C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
- Here delete all files and folders inside the download folder, to do so press Ctrl + A to select all and hit the Del key on the keyboard,
Once done, restart the system and now you can install the latest updates on your device.
Run DISM and SFC Scan
Another solution to fix windows 11 update problems on your device is running the DISM and System File Checker tools. This process will detect the corrupted system file and repair them automatically. To do so,
- Firstly, type “cmd” in the taskbar search box and open the Command Prompt window with Admin access.
- In the command prompt screen, type or paste the following command and press Enter to continue.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Once the scanning process gets completed, again type or paste the following commands and press Enter to restore repaired system files,
- Finally, Reboot your PC and retry to install the windows update on your system.
Use Microsoft Update Catalog
Still, if you are not able to install Update on your Windows 11 PC, then you need to install the same update from Microsoft Update Catalog. To do so,
- Firstly, launch the browser and you can go to the Microsoft Update Catalog page.
- Then type Update number for example “KB5022303” in the search box and press Enter.
- On the next screen, choose the file compatible with your system, and download and install it on your system.
- Now you have installed the latest updates.
Switch to Google DNS
Few users report, that changing the DNS address, (Switch to open DNS) helps them fix the windows update stuck download problem on windows 11.
- Press Windows key + R, type ncpa.cpl and click ok to open the network connections window,
- Right-click on your active network adapter select properties,
- Locate and double-click on Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) to open its properties,
- On the next window, Select the radio button, use the following DNS server addresses, and set 22.214.171.124 as the preferred DNS server and 126.96.36.199 as the alternate DNS server address.
- Checkmark on validate settings upon exit and click ok, then apply to save changes.
- Now try to install the windows updates again.
Windows 11 Installation Assistant
Well if you are trying to upgrade your device but Windows 11 Update Download is Stuck for hours in such case you need to apply the above solutions first. If none above solutions fix the problem for you then download Windows 11 Installation Assistant from the Microsoft site that helps upgrade to windows 11 without any problem.
- First, launch the web browser and navigate to the Windows 11 Installation Assistant page.
- In the new screen, choose the Windows 11 Installation Assistant and click on the Download now button
Once downloaded, locate the windows 11 installation assistant, right-click on it select run as administrator, this will check if your device is compatible with the windows 11 upgrade, if it passes follow on-screen instructions to download and install windows 11 on your device. Here a video refers to how to upgrade windows 11 using an installation assistant.
These are all about installing windows Update on Windows 11 and its fixes. If you have any queries or concerns regarding this article, you can leave a comment in the comment box below.
- Fix Windows 10 blue screen error, PAGE FAULT IN NON-PAGED AREA
- iPhone Stuck on the Apple Logo? Here’s How to Fix It
- Discord Stuck on Connecting voice channel? Let’s fix it
- 8 Tips to setup and start your New Windows 10 Laptop in right way
- How to speed up Google Chrome browser on Android (Updated 2022)