The latest windows 11 brings brand new UI elements, features and improvements, and Microsoft regularly drops windows updates to keep your devices secure and compliant by deploying stability fixes and addressing security vulnerabilities. Overall windows updates not only secure and fix problems with your computer but also optimize windows 11 performance as well. But sometimes you may find windows 11 is very slow, the system is unstable or completely unusable after installing a cumulative update from Microsoft via Windows Update. A number of users report, Windows 11 acting slow After Update, Any browser I use is slow, and videos take very long to load. And many programs and even file explorer suddenly freeze for several moments. If you are looking to solve these issues without too much effort, this article is exactly what you need.
- 1 Why Laptop Slow After Windows 11 Update
- 2 How to Fix It When Windows 11 Is Slow after update
- 2.1 Restart windows 11
- 2.2 Run System File Checker (SFC)
- 2.3 Check windows update only causing the problem
- 2.4 Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
- 2.5 Adjust startup Apps
- 2.6 Disable visual effects
- 2.7 Update Graphics Drivers
- 2.8 Delete temporary files
- 2.9 Changing the Power Plan
- 2.10 Disable Your Antivirus Software
Why Laptop Slow After Windows 11 Update
There are several reasons why this might happen, from malfunctioning hardware to a software bug or even virus malware infection is common. Again low system storage to outdated drivers or from too many running programs to corrupted system files, or 100% disk usage also impact system performance and result windows 11 running slow.
Run the update troubleshooter and repair corrupt system files with SFC and DISM tool is the most efficient method to fix when windows 11 computer acting up slowly. Also, you can perform a full system scan with the latest updated antivirus, adjust the power plans or disable the visual effects to fix the problem and speed up your Windows 11 PC. Getting rid of Temporary Files can make a critical difference and boost performance.
How to Fix It When Windows 11 Is Slow after update
Here we have some performance tweaks and optimizations to improve windows 11 performance and make your computer or laptop run smoothly.
Restart windows 11
Let’s first reboot the windows 11 PC, right-click the Start button and click Shut down or sign out > Restart. This will install if any pending updates there, refresh the operating system and clear minor bugs or glitches that may slow down windows 11 laptop.
Reboot your computer to terminate background programs that could be using up valuable resources
Well if you notice the Laptop is running very slow not responding mouse clicks or hangs every minute, start windows 11 in safe mode and apply the solution listed below. Safe mode enables to access an altered version of Windows and corrects any problems there.
Run System File Checker (SFC)
If due to some reason or update bug system files get corrupted you might experience windows 11 slow performance issues. Run the System File Checker tool (or SFC) and DISM command that repairs the system image and replaces corrupted files with correct ones.
- Press Windows key + S and type cmd, right-click on the command prompt select run as administrator,
- Type sfc /scannow and press enter key to execute the command,
- The SFC utility scan all protected system files and replaces corrupted files with a cached copy that is located in a compressed folder.
- Next, run DISM command DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- This process can take a while, When it finishes, restart your PC and see if it fixed the Windows update issue.
Check windows update only causing the problem
If you are sure windows 11 is acting update after the recent windows update, remove the update following the steps below and get windows another opportunity to install it properly.
To uninstall a cumulative update on Windows 11
- Press the Windows key + X and select settings from the context menu,
- Go to windows update then click on update history,
- Scroll down to locate uninstall updates option, click on it,
- Select the most recent update—these are listed with ID values. When you’re ready, press the Uninstall button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process and reboot your PC.
Now check if your laptop running smoothly after remove the recent windows update.
If yes then you have the option to pause Windows updates and let Microsoft fix the problematic bug. Or you can check for again the install the update again the proper way.
Pause updates on windows 11
- Again open windows 11 settings and navigate to windows update,
- Locate the pause updates option and from the drop-down menu select pause updates for a period between one and five weeks.
Reinstall the Update
May Microsoft has a recent bug fix for this problem that causing windows 11 to slow. Let’s check and reinstall the updates again.
- Open the settings app on windows 11 click the windows updates option,
- Hit the check for updates button and allow download if pending updates there,
- Once done reboot your computer to apply them and check if this helps.
Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
If you experience any error after a Windows update or the updates process is stuck running on the background and that slows down the Windows PC. Try running the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
- Press the Windows key on the keyboard and select settings
- Navigate Windows Update then Troubleshoot and click on Other Troubleshooters
- Locate the Windows update option and click the Run button for Windows Update.
The troubleshooting wizard will try to find and resolve Windows Update issues. After the scan is complete, go back and check for updates again.
Adjust startup Apps
Disable some of the unnecessary startup Apps that might be running unnecessarily and eating up system resources and slow Windows 11 performance.
- Press Windows key + I to open the settings app
- Navigate Apps then start on the right-hand side,
- This will open a list of apps with their startup impact, that start automatically when you turn on your computer,
- After applying these settings, check to see if it works for you.
Disable visual effects
The visual effects feature on Windows 11 performs flashy visuals to meet users’ aesthetic needs. But sometimes they also make the OS sluggish. Disabling the visual effects is one of the most efficient methods to speed up Windows 11.
- Press the Windows key to open the Start menu, type visual effects in the search box and select it
- Here toggle off both Transparency effects and Animation effects option
Update Graphics Drivers
An old graphics card driver on your PC or laptop can also lead to the issue of Windows 11 slow performance. Especially after installing a new version of Windows 11 the current graphics driver is incompatible or outdated which slows down the PC performance.
To avoid such issues, it is advised to keep the graphics driver update.
Delete temporary files
Getting rid of Temporary Files can make a critical difference and boost performance.
- Press the Windows key + S and type storage settings then select the first result,
- Click Temporary files in the right section, and on the next window, Click the Remove files option.
- The system will autumnally select the files that can be safely deleted.
- If you also want to clear the Recycle bin which wouldn’t be autumnally selected,
Changing the Power Plan
- Press Windows + R type powercfg.cpl and press Enter to open the Power Options window.
- Look here If the High-Performance power plan option is available and switch your power plan to High Performance. I
- Next to the selected power plan click Change plan settings and then click Change advanced power settings.
- Expand Processor power management and set both the Minimum processor state and Maximum processor state to 100%. Click OK to save and apply the changes.
Disable Your Antivirus Software
If you’re using a third-party antivirus solution Try disabling it temporarily and check if this helps.
If your PC has problems, isn’t always a software issue—make sure your PC hardware and peripherals are working properly.