Windows 11 laptop Restarts Automatically while completing some important work or playing online game. Few users report, the computer keeps restarting after upgrading to Windows 11. When the windows 11 computer restarts automatically without any information this may wipe out your important work, and if the PC restarts frequently it may impact the HDD or SSD performance, crash pr corrup system files and create different problems. And it’s very important to identify and fix the problem as soon as possible. Here in this article, we try to find out why Windows 11 Restarts Automatically and how to fix the problem.
How to Fix Windows 11 Random Restart problem
There are multiple reasons, pertaining to both the software and hardware that may cause this Windows 11 Random Restart or laptop restarts automatically after the windows 11 update. It could be caused due to Incorrect power settings, Faulty storage or power supply or because of overheating components. An outdated graphics driver, Fast startup feature or malware infection can also lead to this random restart error on windows 11.
No matter what is the reason why your windows 11 PC restarts automatically here we have a few workarounds apply to stop Windows 11 from restarting itself randomly. If your computer restarts frequently and won’t allow performing any task then boot into safe mode and apply the solution listed below.
Basic things to check
Check if your PC or laptop is overheating, and this is the reason why windows 11 restarted automatically without your knowledge. There are several apps available online that detect your CPU’s temperature and will alert you when your PC is heating more than it should.
If the CPU or GPU temperature gets too high windows restarts itself to protect the hardware. You need to check if there may be a faulty cooling system.
Again a faulty power supply providing a steady voltage can lead your computer to restart by itself. Even if you are using UPS (uninterruptible power supply) your computer might restart because of a faulty UPS or battery.
Turn off the Fast Startup
- Press Windows key + R, type powercfg.cpl and click ok to open power settings
- Click on what the power buttons do’ option in the left panel then click on the ‘Change Settings that are Currently Unavailable’ option.
- Now uncheck the box next to Turn on Fast startup option and click the Save button to save the change you just made.
Update your Graphics Card Driver
Did you experience windows 11 restarts automatically while playing online games or high-intensity graphics video games or while using Graphics design software or video editor? In such cases either you need to check if the Graphics card might get too hot. Again running an outdated graphics driver will lead to all sorts of issues, including your computer restarting on its own.
A malfunctioning graphic card driver is another cause of why your machine restarts randomly.
Let’s try to update or reinstall the Graphics driver with the latest version and check the problem is resolved.
- Press Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc and click ok to open the device manager,
- This will display all devices and peripherals connected to a computer
- Locate and expand the display adapter section, right-click the Graphics driver and choose the Update driver option.
- The Update Driver Wizard will open up your PC. Choose the ‘Search automatically for drivers’ option.
- Wait until the wizard looks for any new drivers, If it finds any, it will automatically install them without bothering you.
Reinstall Graphics driver
If the driver wizard notifies you ‘The best drivers for your device are already installed,’ then this is what you should do.
- Go back to the Device Manager expand display adapters,
- Right-click on the installed graphics drive Choose the ‘Uninstall Device’ option mentioned in the context menu.
- A confirmation pop-up will appear, Tick the box for “Attempt to remove the driver for this device” and press the Uninstall button.
As soon as you’ll do it, your screen will start flickering. Do not worry; the driver will be reinstalled automatically within a few minutes. After the flickering stops, reboot your PC and see if the random restart issue subsides.
If windows 11 fails to install the Graphics driver automatically, then you can download and install the latest Graphics driver update from the device manufacturer’s site.
Scan for virus malware
If your computer is infected with a virus or malware it may cause windows 11 to freeze and crash on its own. You can use Windows 11 built-in tools to scan your computer. Or use third-party antivirus to remove malware or virus from your computer.
- Press the Windows key + S, search for Windows Security and select the first result,
- Click on Virus & threat protection then Click Scan options, and perform a full scan.
- You can select Quick scan if you’re in a hurry, but Full scan will go through all files and running programs on your hard disk.
- If you have third-party antivirus installed on your computer, make sure it’s updated and perform a full scan.
Run a CHKDSK Scan
Problems with disk drives or failing storage sector also cause windows 11 not responding and restart automatically. Let’s run chkdsk command to check and fix disk drive errors on your computer.
- Press Windows key + S and type cmd, right-click on the command prompt select run as administrator,
- Once it’s open, run the chkdsk /r [DriveLetter:] command line, replacing [DriveLetter:] with the drive you want to scan.
- If the command didn’t solve the problem, it might be an indicator that you need to replace your failing drive.
Uninstall the Recently Installed Updates
Did you notice the laptop restarts automatically only after recent windows 11 updates? If yes then there may be update bug causing the issue, let’s uninstall the recent windows update to restore the proper functionality of your PC.
- Press Windows key + R, type appwiz.cpl and click ok to open the programs and features window,
- Look for View installed updates in the left panel and click it, this will display the recently installed windows updates list,
- Locate and select the update and double-click on it, a confirmation popup opens click yes to proceed.
- Now, wait until the updates are uninstalled. Once completed, you need to reboot your PC to apply the changes.
Disable automatic restart
Still didn’t get what causing windows 11 to restart automatically, lets’s Turn Off the Automatic Restart feature for system failure. And that probably help fix the issue.
- Press Windows key + R, type sysdm.cpl and click ok to open the system properties popup,
- Move the advanced tab, then click on the settings option under Startup and Recovery.
- Untick the checkbox for Automatic restart under System failure, and click on OK to save the changes.
- Now restart the computer and check if Windows 11 keeps restarting randomly issue persists.
Check for Memory Problems
Again If your RAM is malfunctioning, it could cause your computer to restart on its own. Fortunately, you can run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool to identify any issues.
- To do this, open the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and click Restart now and check for problems (recommended).
- Windows will then give your RAM a scan to see if there are any errors in it.
Did the above solutions help stop windows 11 laptop restart automatically? Let us know in the comments below.
- 7 working solutions to fix windows 10 slow boot or startup problem
- Solved: Laptop Freezes and Crash after Windows 10 update
- How to repair corrupted system files in Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- Computer Won’t Turn on or Boot After Power Outage, what to do?
- Microsoft Edge Black screen after windows 11 update (solved)