Did you notice windows 11 computer running very slow and the CPU usage is very high on task manager? High CPU usage on windows 11 slowdown the overall performance of your computer, individual apps open slowly and it can take a long time to perform simple tasks or switch between windows and apps. Overall High CPU usage on windows 11 lowers your PC’s performance. Few user report, 100 percent CPU usage after the windows 11 update that makes the entire desktop unusable, not responding and need to restart windows to back to normal. Here this article explains some common reasons behind 100 CPU usage and a few solutions very effective for Troubleshooting High CPU usage on a Windows 11 PC.
Windows 11 High CPU Usage
It’s difficult to pinpoint the exact reason that causes high CPU usage on your computer. Its possible windows is infected with viruses or malware that running continuously on the background and consume system resources. Windows system files are corrupted that causing windows stuck running and eat up system resources. Again if windows updates are pending there or stuck download it may continuously run on the background and consume system resources that result high CPU usage. Overall multiple background applications, system file corruption and malware/adware infection are some of the most common reasons.
Check and install pending windows updates, Disable background apps and perform a full system scan for viruses or malware infections very helpful to fix such problems. Again running the system file checker and optimizing startup apps also reduces CPU usage on windows 11.
Restart windows 11
First of all close apps or programs that you are not using, in addition, close the Chrome browser and check the CPU usage comes down. If yes here are a few tips apply to fix Google Chrome high CPU usage problem. After closing the apps restart your computer which not only refreshes the operating system but also clears temporary glitches that may stuck the OS and consume system resources on windows 11.
Note – If due to this problem your computer is unresponsive, nor responding the mouse clicks or freezes, we suggest start windows 11 in safe mode and apply the next solutions.
Install the latest windows 11 updates
Old or outdated software also cause High CPU usage problem on windows 11 and the first thing you need to update your PC to the latest version of Windows. Also, the company regularly drops windows updates that not only, close security gaps and optimize windows 11 performance but also address previous problems as well.
- Press the Windows key + X and select settings from the context menu,
- Go to windows update then hit check for updates button,
- If windows updates are pending there, allow them to download and install on your computer,
Once done, reboot your computer to apply them, now check if the CPU usage is reduced to normal.
Scan your PC for virus or malware infection
If your PC is infected with viruses or malware probably, it may continuously runs in the background and eatup system resources. And this is one of the most common reasons behind the High CPU usage problem on windows 11. You can use the Windows Security app to run a full scan of your PC and check for any threats.
Your computer may have malware that’s causing high CPU usage
- Press Windows key + S, type windows security and select the first result,
- When windows security (formally known as windows defender) opens click on virus and threat protection,
- Click on scan options then select full scan option then click scan now,
- Now Windows will look for any potential threats in your PC. If it finds any harmful software, it will take the relevant measures to fix the problem.
Also, you can prefer third-party antivirus or antimalware as well but make sure its updated and have the capability to detect and remove the latest malware or virus from your system. Once done reboot your PC and check if the high CPU usage issue in Windows 11 is fixed.
Modify the Power plan settings
Have you tweaked some power plan settings to speed up windows 11 PC or increase the battery life but it started causing high CPU usage problems? Then it’s best to roll back these changes by restoring the power plan to default settings.
- Press Windows key + R, type powercfg.cpl and click ok to open the power options window,
- Click on change plan settings next to your selected power plan,
- And finally, click Restore Default Settings for this plan link given at the bottom of the Window.
- Click yes when the confirmation popup opens on your screen to restore the power plan settings default,
- Close the window and reboot your PC, now use your PC for some time and check if the CPU usage is restored to normal levels.
Note: If the CPU usage is still high than normal, go back to the Edit Power Plan window and choose the ‘High performance’ option this time.
Disable Background Apps
When you start your computer many apps start without your knowledge and run in the background and consume system resources. Let’s disable or stop certain less useful apps from running in the background to decrease CPU usage on your Windows 11 PC.
too many apps and programs running in the background might end up hogging the CPU
- First, open the settings app on your windows 11 PC using the windows key + I
- Click on Apps present on the left sidebar and then open the installed apps given on the right
- Scroll down and locate the app that you want to restrict from running in the background,
- Next, press the ellipsis menu for that respective app and click to open the ‘Advanced’ settings.
- Finally, expand the ‘Let this app run in the background drop-down and set it to never.
- When you will do it, the app will no longer run in the background.
- Follow the same process for all the apps that you want to restrict from running in the background
Note: If any app does not run in the background, this option will not be present for it.
Disable Antivirus program
Sometimes third-party antivirus apps also continuously run scans in the background and utilize too much CPU on your system and degrade the PC performance. Similarly, if you are connected VPN server that also performs a number of background tasks and eat up system resources. Let’s disable these antiviruses and VPN and check the CPU usage is reduced.
Antivirus programs can helpful, but they can also cause issues with excessive CPU usage on your pc
If yes you need to check and make sure the third-party antivirus you are using on your computer is up to date. If you are using a free VPN you may need to upgrade premium VPN to get better performance from the app.
If disabling the app did not work for you, you can uninstall the app to see if this works.
- Press Windows key + R, type appwiz.cpl and click ok to open the programs and features window,
- This will display list of all the apps installed on your PC.
- Look for the antivirus and VPN software and press the uninstall button for that software.
Disable superfetch service
Many windows services run on the background and utilize your system resources, let’s disable some of them that are not necessary to free up CPU usage. Well many Windows services are to be blamed for high CPU usage, but the Superfetch (Sysmain) and windows update service are the main culprit here.
- Press the Windows key + R type services.msc and click ok to open the services window,
- Scroll down and look for SysMain service, right-click on it select properties,
- Here change the startup type to disable and stop the service next to service status.
- Click apply and ok to save the changes you have done.
In addition, if the windows update download or installation process is going on, you may experience High CPU usage on your computer. Let the update download and installation process to complete and restart your PC to install them. And your PC back to normal after the system restart.
A recent change in the system settings or an app installation causes high CPU usage, and can’t identify the culprit. It’s time to utilize the system restore feature that reverts system settings to a point before the high CPU usage problem appeared first.
- Windows 10 100 Disk usage after Update? 6 solutions to fix it
- Solved: Windows 10 slow startup and shutdown after Windows Update
- Microsoft Store Not Opening on Windows 11 (Apply this 7 solutions)
- Windows 11 Restarts Automatically? Try These 9 Fixes
- Computer Won’t Turn on or Boot After Power Outage, what to do?
- How to fix Audio sound problems on Windows 10 2022 update