Sometimes you may come to a situation where Windows 10 Laptop starts Overheating and when the CPU goes to 100% usage. This issue is mostly reported by users After installing recent windows updates or upgrade to windows 10 update. Where a new or 5/6 months old Windows 10 Laptop Overheating and shutdown As they already using a cooling Fan or no more dust there on the Laptop.
As the Laptop Starts Overheating, It causes the laptop speed Programs start not responding it pops up error messages And results in system shutdown, blue screen or black screen. there are various reason that causes the issue, It may be incorrect power configuration, Windows updates stuck, Incompatible Device driver And more. Whatever the reason here are some 5 solutions you may apply to Cool down the Overheating Laptop.
Note: These solutions are applicable to fix the Dell, Asus, Lenovo, Microsoft Surface, Toshiba, HP laptop overheating issue.
Fix Windows 10 Laptop Overheating Issues
Here are several recommended fixes You must first apply to check and fix If any corrupted system files, Security software, or External Devices causing the issue.
- Run SFC /scannow command (Admin command prompt).
- Also, Run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth (Admin command prompt).
- Disable SuperFetch service from (Computer Management – Services).
- Removing specific USB devices (most notably audio) to lessen power loads.
- Temporarily Disable Security software ( Antivirus ) if installed.
Again Sometimes unnecessary startup programs (running on the background) cause the issue. Simply open Task Manager, select the Startup tab and Disable all unnecessary programs in order to prevent them from starting with the system.
Shut down the laptop (using the power button) Disconnect the Power adapter ( if connected ) And remove the Battery. Then press and hold the Power button for 30 Sec, Now Insert the Battery and Start the windows normally wait 15 minutes and check there is no more overheating issue.
Use Power troubleshooter to check issues
Run the Windows power troubleshooter and let windows to check and fix the problem itself. This will fix the problem if any incorrect power configuration causes the issue. To run the troubleshooter:
Click on the Start menu search, type Troubleshoot and hit the enter key. A new window opens, Scroll down and select Power. Then click on Run the Troubleshooter and Fallow on-screen instructions. This will Find and fix problems with your Laptops Power configuration setting to conserve power, extend battery life and fix overheating issues caused by incorrect power configuration.
Change the power plan settings
If your laptop battery has worked for many years then it is recommended that you must switch to a new one, which helps to release the pain of laptop overheating.
Also, Let’s change the power plan settings to use a minimum processor state to prevent overheating.
Reducing the maximum processor state for your laptop (both when it is on battery or when the power cable is plugged in), reduces the processor’s performance a notch (depending on your settings) and prevents it from being used at optimum potential by an application or game, which will reduce thermal heating. For example, if you are playing a game that is consuming 100% of your processor’s capacity, then it may also result in heating up your system, whereas reducing the battery power state to, say 80%, can resolve this problem, and also result in battery power conservation.
- Open Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power options.
- Or you can Right-click on the battery icon on the taskbar and select Power Options.
- Click on Change plan settings for the power plan that you have set on the laptop.
- Next Click on the Change advanced power settings.
- Go to Processor power management.
- Here Expand the icon and expand the maximum processor state.
Reduce the processor state (for both Plugged-in as well as On battery) to a certain level to verify if it makes any difference.
Again Expand the System cooling policy option. Highlight the On battery and then select the Passive from the drop-down menu beside it. That’s all Click the Apply button and OK to make save changes. Restart windows and check if there is improvements in laptop heating.
Uninstall Windows Updates
Sometimes buggy windows updates stuck on the background and cause unnecessary system resource usage and reduce battery performance and result from Laptop overheating problems. If the problem started after installing the latest windows updates we recommend temporarily uninstall them and check hope it may help.
- Use Windows shortcut keys Win + I. This will open the Settings.
- Go to the Update & security menu.
- On the right side then click on Update history.
- Check each record. If you find the update resulting in overheating then click on the Uninstall updates from the top.
Tweak on Registry editor
If all the above solutions didn’t help to cool down your overheated laptop, Let’s tweak on registry editor and disable Runtime Broker which may be consuming your CPU processes, thus causing the issue of the Computer to overheat.
Press Windows + R, type regedit and ok to open the registry editor. first backup registry database then navigate to
Here Modify the String value labeled “˜Start’ and change the value data to 4. That’s all Close the registry editor and reboot your PC. check Disabling Runtime broker to stop consuming system resources and fix overheating issue.
So these were some of the tips or methods that you can try to fix Windows 10 Laptop Overheating Issues. Some tips you may apply to avoid Windows 10 Laptop Overheating:
- Always Find a cool room to work on your Windows 10 laptop for a good place will cool down the overheating laptop.
- Use a laptop cooler that has a large cooling fan that helps the machine by accelerating the airflow.
- Place your Windows 10 laptop on a laptop stand that is angled off the desktop.
- Use a brush to clean the dirt away from the fan blade and the vents.
- Drip some machine oil into the hole in the center of the computer fan.
Did these solutions help to fix “Windows 10 Laptop Overheating or shutdown Issues”? Let us know in the comments below which option worked for you.