Finally, today (19/09/2023) Apple Inc. has rolled out the iOS 17 updates for compatible iPhone and iPad touch models. Already apple official says You’ll need an iPhone XR or later to get iOS 17 Update for free, Or we can say any device capable of running iOS 16 can run the latest iOS 17. And with the software update focusing on performance improvements Apple is recommending that all eligible users update to iOS 17.
Well, the new iOS 17 software update brings plenty of new features, including streamlined Control Center, grouped notifications, Live Text in photos, Focus Modes, improved Safari, FaceTime enhancements, redesigned Maps, AR improvements, enhanced privacy, Mail app redesign, Weather app updates, and improved Siri for a more intuitive user experience and more.
Also focuses on performance and quality improvements, And most importantly with iOS 17, everything is going faster, from unlocking with Face ID (30 percent faster) and app downloads will be 50 percent smaller and updates 60 percent smaller. Apps will launch twice as fast in iOS 17, and much more.
Though Apple focused on under-the-hood improvements for iOS 17, there is a long list of New features available with iOS 17 that makes this an impressive new version of iOS.
iOS 17 compatible devices
There is a long list of devices compatible with iOS 17. But, in a nutshell, it will support all iOS devices launched since 2014. The new 2019 iPhone 11 is also included in the list.
iOS 17 can be installed on the following iPhones:
- iPhone 15, 15 Plus, 15 Pro, and 15 Pro Max.
- iPhone 14, 14 Plus, 14 Pro and 14 Pro Max
- iPhone SE 2020 and SE 2022
- iPhone 13, 13 mini, 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 12, 12 mini, 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 11, 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone X, XR, XS and XS Max
Live Stickers. Personalized Contact Posters. StandBy when you’re charging. What #iOS17 feature are you most excited about?
— Apple Support (@AppleSupport) September 12, 2023
And iPhone 5S (and older), iPhone 6/6 Plus, iPhone 7/7plus, iPad Mini 2, iPad Mini 3, iPad Air (2013) won’t be compatible with the new iOS update. That means these devices do not receive the latest iOS 17 update.
iOS 17 will be available for iPhone XR and later models all the way to iPhone 14 pro and latest iPhone 15.
How to Update to iOS 17
The latest iPhone 15 series ships with iOS 17 pre-installed, but here we’ll take a look at how to install iOS 17 on older iPhones and iPads.
Prepare for iOS 17 Update on iPhone & iPad
- Most importantly Backup Device before the new update takes place
- Check and make sure your device compatible with latest iOS 17.
- Make sure sufficient storage available for the iOS 17 update
- Also, it’s a good idea to update all iOS apps on the device so that they are new and more likely to be compatible with the latest iOS release.
- Also make sure you have stable Internet connection or connect WiFi network to smoothly download iOS 17 update files from apple server.
- if your device’s battery is below 50 percent, you’ll need to plug it in to a charger during the update.
Bonus: Remember Your iPhone Password
Your phone will restart after you upgrade to iOS 17 and it might requires your screen passcode to unlock your iPhone. So please always remember your device screen password or you will be locked out of your device after installing the update. You should also remember your iCloud passcode and apple ID. In case of losing files after updating, you can restore files from your iCloud backup.
Backup Device before the new update takes place
You can choose to back up data on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch via iCloud — or via iTunes on a PC or Mac. Here follow the steps below to back up all your data before downloading the iOS 17.
- Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
- Open Settings, select your name and tap
- Tap iCloud Backup. (For those on iOS 10.2 or earlier, tap Backup).
- Also, make sure that the iCloud Backup is turned on.
- Tap Back Up Now.
You should also make sure to check the backup is completed. You can do this by opening Settings, tapping on your name, going to iCloud > iCloud Storage > Manage Storage and tapping on your device from the list.
If you choose to back up your device using a computer, you can use the built-in backup function via iTunes.
Here’s how to back up an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch using iTunes:
- Make sure your iTunes is updated to the latest version, open it up, and plug your iOS device in.
- Follow the onscreen steps if a message asks for your device password or to Trust This Computer.
- Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch when it appears in iTunes.
- You can save Health and Activity data from your iOS device or Apple Watch by selecting Encrypt and creating a passcode.
- If you don’t want to save your Health and Activity data, you can just click Back Up Now.
After the process is done, you can check to see if the backup finished successfully by clicking iTunes Preferences > Devices(on a Mac) or Edit > Preferences > Devices (on a PC).
Download and Install iOS 17
The easiest way to get iOS 17 is to install it right on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch you want to update.
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- This will begin the process of checking for new updates on your iOS device.
- Once iOS 17 is available for your device, A notification about iOS 17 should appear and you can tap Download and Install.
- Tap Agree when you see Apple’s Terms and Conditions with respect to the new software package and its features.
- It can take a while, during which time you won’t be able to use your device, so tap Install Tonight or Remind Me Later if you want to postpone for a more convenient time.
Note: The speed of the download depends on how fast your Internet connection is. Further, it is worth noting here that you need a Wi-Fi connection to start the download process as Apple doesn’t allow iOS downloads over mobile data.
How to Fix Unable to Install iOS 17 Update Error?
- Tap on Settings > Enable Airplane Mode.
- Switch Off your iPhone.
- After 30 seconds or so, turn it back on and disable the Airplane mode.
- Next, try to update your iPhone as you would normally do by using Settings> General >Software Update.
Update iOS 17 using iTunes
If you prefer, you can download and install iOS 17 from your computer using iTunes. Here’s how:
- Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes
- Connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your computer.
- Open iTunes and select your device. In iTunes 17, you click the device’s icon in the upper-right corner of the iTunes window.
- Click Summary > Check for Update.
- Click Download and Update.
- Follow any on-screen prompts, such as selecting Next on the iPhone Software Update screen, and Agree on the terms that follow.
- The iOS 17 update process will begin immediately. Wait while iTunes downloads iOS 17 and installs it to your iPhone or iPad.
Note Your device reboots during the iOS 17 upgrade, so don’t unplug it until it powers back on for good and iTunes shows that it’s fully updated.
How to update to iOS 17 from beta
Well if you have iOS 17 beta installed on your iPhone, and looking to get the release version then you won’t be able to upgrade just like that even if you previously downloaded the RC build for yourself. The fact is that the installed beta profile will prevent this, which will not allow you to switch to the final version of the OS. Therefore, it is necessary to carry out preliminary preparation.
- Go to Settings on your iPhone then General section;
- Here, open the VPN and device management tab;
- Select the iOS 17 test profile and delete it;
- Then enter your iPhone into recovery mode and connect to your computer;
- On the iTunes or Finder screen, select firmware recovery;
- Roll back the firmware to iOS 16 and restart your iPhone.
- After that, you can try to install the update as usual.