Earlier this week Microsoft has released windows updates with several security improvements and bug fixes. But this has led to printer problems for many people, Several users complain printer stopped working (printing from the PC) after windows update or cannot print documents after windows 10 update or printer not showing in devices and printers windows 10.
If the printer not working after installing the latest Windows update but it’s fine before the update then probably it’s problem with the installed printer driver. It’s corrupted or might not compatible with the current windows version. Again incorrect printer setup, print spooler service stuck responding might also cause Printer Stop Working.
Fix printer problems on windows 10
If you are also struggling with similar problem, printer not working after windows update running printer troubleshooter, reinstall the printer driver probable help address the Printer not working issue.
- Make sure the printer is properly connected to your computer USB port and that they are both powered on.
- If your printer uses USB then try to insert it on a different USB port perhaps at the back of your computer.
- If you have a network printer make sure the network (RJ 45) cable connected properly and the lights are blinking on.
- Temporarily disable firewall, Security software (Antivirus) on the computer and check the printer status
Power cycle your printer
Power cycle your computer and printer, this is an effective way to fix temporary glitches on different devices.
- Let’s Turn off your printer and unplug it from the power socket,
- Reboot your computer as well and wait 30 seconds,
- Now plug your printer back in and turn the printer back on
- Check the printer status if your printer working properly.
Start Print spooler service
Print spooler, a service or we can say a small application that manages print jobs sent from a computer to a printer. If due to some reason print spooler service is not started or stuck you might experience problems complete print jobs, Which results Printer not responding or the printer stopped working.
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc and click ok,
- This will open the windows services console
- Scroll down and locate the print spooler service, and check its status
- If it’s running then right-click on print spooler and select restart,
- If the service is not started then double click on it to open its properties, here change its startup type automatic and start the service next to service status.
- Click apply and ok, now check the status of the problem.
Run the Printer Troubleshooter
Windows 10 comes with built-in Printer Troubleshooter or you can download and run the printing troubleshooter that automatically detect and fix different problems that prevent print jobs from completing or cause the printer to stop working.
- Press the Windows key + X select settings,
- Click on Update & security then troubleshoot,
- Next click on the additional troubleshooter link (refer image below)
- The next windows will represent different troubleshoot tools
- Scroll down and locate Printer, select it and click on run the troubleshooter,
- This will start to diagnose and fix the problems causing the printer to stop working.
- Once the diagnosis process completes reboot your PC and check the status of your problem.
Update printer driver
Again most printers require the latest printer driver so that it will function properly. If you have upgraded windows 10 from an earlier version and the printer stopped working then the printer driver might cause the issue. Also unexpected power outages, computer viruses, or other problems damaged your printer driver. Downloading and installing the latest printer driver can often resolve these problems.
Most of the time installing the latest windows update, download and install the latest driver software for your printer. Also, you can manually check the driver update from the device manager or visit the printer manufacturer site to download and install the latest driver software.
Installing the latest printer driver also fixes the problem if the printer not showing in devices and printers or getting error printer driver is not recognized.
Reinstall Printer Driver in Compatibility mode
Still need help, there might compatibility issue causing the issue. Let’s try to install the printer driver in compatibility mode.
A compatibility mode is a software mechanism in which a software either emulates an older version of the software in order to allow incompatible software or files to remain compatible with the computer’s newer hardware or software.
uninstall printer driver
- First, download the latest printer driver from its manufacturer’s website.
- Next, remove the current printer driver from the device manager using devmgmt.msc
- Also, remove the printer driver from programs and feature in the control panel using appwiz.cpl
- Once done reboot your PC to completely remove the printer driver from your computer.
Install printer driver
- Now locate the printer driver, that you have downloaded from the manufacturer’s site, right-click, then select Properties.
- Move to the Compatibility Tab,
- Checkmark on Run this program in Compatibility mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop-down list. (refer image below)
- Click on apply and ok then double click on the driver to install it on your PC
- Follow on-screen instructions to install the printer and check if this resolves the problem.
Check printer configuration
Again check and make sure the printer is configured properly, and it uses the proper USB port.
- Open the control panel then the Devices and Printers section.
- Locate your printer right-click it, and choose Printer properties
- Move to the Ports tab and make sure that the proper port (USB01) is selected
- And after making this small change check the printer working properly.
In addition, remove the printer and try to re-add the printer following the steps below.
- Press Windows key + I to open settings
- Select Devices then printers & scanners,
- Select your printer, select Remove device, and then select Yes.
- Again under Printers & scanners, select Add a printer or scanner and follow the instructions to re-add the printer.
Did these solutions help fix printer problems on windows 10? let us know in the comments below.
- How to Clear the Print Queue in Windows 10 (Without Restarting)
- Solved: print jobs stay in the queue after printing windows 10
- Can’t print pdf files after the windows 10 update? Apply these solutions
- How to Print pictures in different sizes windows 10
- Printer Error operation could not be completed (error 0709) windows 10