Microsoft Edge the default browser on windows 11 allows you to navigate the Internet. Compare to the previous one the latest chromium edge browser is much more efficient as the Microsoft Edge gets a massive overhaul on Windows 11. However sometimes you may experience problems with the edge browser, Especially Microsoft Edge browser won’t open after Windows 11 update or upgrade. A number of users report, the Microsoft Edge browser not open or Microsoft Edge opens but only a blank screen is visible and then closes. Here in this post, we try to find out the reason behind the problem and solutions to fix it.
Why is Microsoft edge won’t open?
There are various manifestations that cause edge browser won’t open or not respond. It may be the browser is not up to date, any edge extension prevents the browser open, potential viruses or malware, or your antivirus application may be blocking Microsoft Edge from opening.
Whatever the reason, clear browsing data, update the edge browser, scan for viruses or malware or reset the edge browser help fix Edge browser problems on windows 11. Let’s start.
How to Fix Edge browser problems on windows 11
First, restart your PC and try to open the edge browser again. If this didn’t help, then start windows 11 in clean boot state. This will start your PC with a minimal set of drivers and programs. And help fix if any third-party service or driver conflict prevents the edge browser open.
Clean boot windows 11
- Press Windows key + R, type msconfig and click ok to open the system configuration window,
- Navigate to the Services tab and Check mark on Hide all Microsoft services”
- Now click on the “Disable all” button present at the near bottom at the left side of the window. All the third-party services will now be disabled.
- Next, navigate to the Startup tab and click the option of “Open Task Manager”
- Under the startup tab, disable the startup items with high startup impact.
Restart your PC and open the edge browser. If this time edge browser opens without any problem, this means an external program that was causing the problem.
Install the latest windows updates
If you haven’t installed windows updates for a long time you might experience different problems, windows slow performance, or edge browser not opening. Microsoft regularly releases Windows updates with security enhancements and different bug fixes, and may the latest update have bug fix for Edge browser problem on windows 11. Let’s check for and install the latest windows updates on your device.
- Press Windows key + X and select settings,
- Go to windows update and hit check for updates button,
- If new updates are available allow them to download and install on your device,
- Once done you need to restart your PC to apply them.
Repair Microsoft Edge Browser
If all the above solutions didn’t fix the problem then repairing the edge browser helps you solve a host of other issues with the browser in windows 11.
- Right-click on the windows 11 start menu then select Apps and Features,
- Now scroll down and locate the Microsoft edge option or you can search the same on the search box present in the top section,
- Click on the ‘ellipsis’ icon (three horizontal dots) present on the far right edge then click on modify option,
- Click yes if UAC (User account control) asks for permission,
- The repair Microsoft edge window will open, click on the ‘Repair’ button to continue.
- The repair tool will now look into the issues and try to fix the problems for you.
- Restart your PC and check if this help fix the Edge browser problem on windows 11 Pc.
Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter
Run the build-in windows store apps troubleshooter that automatically detects and fixes problems and prevents edge browser open on windows 11.
- Press Windows key + X and select settings,
- Go to the system then Troubleshoot, and Click on the Other troubleshooters.
- This will display the troubleshooter’s list, Scroll down, look at the Windows Store Apps section, then click on the Run button.
- And follow on-screen instructions, thus the troubleshooter check for problems present there and try to fix them for you.
Clear the browsing data
Your web browser cache stores your visited web pages so that it can serve quickly when you next time visit it. But sometimes a large amount of cache
chunk your browser and that may slow down the edge or won’t open. Let’s clear browsing data and check if this helps.
- Open edge browser, type edge://settings/privacy on the address bar then press enter key,
- Or you can navigate the same from edge settings – > Privacy, search, and services.
- Scroll down, then under the Clear browsing data section, click on the Choose what to clear blue button.
- Select the time range, checkmark on what you want to clear, and then click on the blue Clear now button.
Reset the Edge browser settings
If none above solutions work for you then the last one is reset the edge browser to its default settings.
- Open the Edge browser, click on the ‘ellipsis’ icon present in the top right and select settings,
- Now, locate and click on the ‘Reset settings’ tab present in the left sidebar of the window,
- Click on the ‘Restore settings to their default value’ button present under the ‘Reset settings section
- And finally click on the reset button when it prompts for confirmation, (refer image below.)
- This will Reset to the browser’s default values.
Once the reset is complete, close the browser and launch again. Then, check if the issue still persists.
In addition, temporarily disable or uninstall third-party antivirus if installed on your device and try to open the edge browser.
Did the above solutions help fix Microsoft edge browser problems on windows 11? Let us know in the comments below.
- Microsoft Edge Black screen after windows 11 update (solved)
- How To well Optimize Windows 10 Performance For Gaming
- 7 Ways to Overcome windows update Install Error on Windows 11
- Importance of create a strong and secure password (explained)
- Solved: Black screen while playing Games on Windows 11 or 10