Having a problem with the microphone or recording audio on your Windows 10 Laptop? Or the microphone not working after Windows 10 update? This is probably because the installed driver for the microphone is not compatible with the current Windows 10 version 21H1. And reinstall the driver with the latest version is probably a good solution. If you are also struggling with a similar problem, Here are solutions to fix symptoms like the microphone not working, stuttering, jarring, crackling or choppy recording, intermittent issues with microphone recording, and distorted recording.
Microphone not working
If you are using an external microphone device, we recommend First, unplug your microphone and then plug it back in. You should notice a sound to signify that Windows has recognized new hardware.
If the problem started after the recent windows 10 May 2021 update here is a working solution.
- Press the Windows + I keyboard shortcut to open the settings app,
- Click on Privacy then select the Microphone tab
- Here make sure Allow apps to access your microphone is enabled,
- Also, make sure the app you’re using has access to your mic.
- Right-click on the Volume icon on the system tray and select sound,
- Under the recording tab Right-click on an empty area,
- Here select Show disconnected devices and Show disabled devices.
- Now Right-click on the Microphone and select Enable.
- Click Apply followed by OK.
Run sound troubleshooter
Run the built-in audio sound troubleshooter that automatically detect and fix the problems.
- Right-click on the sound icon at the far right corner of the taskbar
- Select “troubleshoot sound problems.
- This will automatically detect any fault that exists with your audio and recommend fixes for you.
- You just need to read through the prompts and click the options that you think will work for you.
Install the latest Windows updates
Windows updates can solve specific problems, provide protection from malicious attacks, or even add new features to the operating system. Windows 10 is set to download and install the latest updates automatically. But you can manually check for and install if the latest available and that may contain the bug fix for the microphone problem.
- Press Windows + I to open the settings app,
- Select Update & security then Windows update,
- Click on the check for updates button to download and install the latest updates,
- And restart your pc to apply the latest updates,
- Check if the microphone problem is solved.
Update sound driver
This is another working solution that probably fixes the problem if the outdated audio driver or driver incompatibility causes the microphone to stop working.
- Press Windows + X and select Device manager
- This will display all installed device driver list
- Expand Sound, video and game controllers,
- Right-click on the installed audio driver and select update driver
- Select “Search automatically for updated driver software” and let the process finish.
- Restart Windows after complete and check if the problem is solved.
If it wasn’t able to update your Audio drivers then visit the device manufacturer website, download and install the latest audio driver from there.
Disable All Sound Effects
- Right-click on the Speaker icon in Taskbar and select Sound
- from the Playback tab right-click on Speakers and select Properties.
- Switch to the Enhancements tab and tick mark the option ‘Disable all enhancements.’
- Click Apply followed by OK and then restart your PC to save changes.
Did these solutions help to fix the laptop microphone not working on Windows 10? Let us know on the comments below, also read: