Ethernet Doesn’t Have A Valid IP Configuration means the Windows 11 system cannot provide access to the Ethernet IP configuration or the computer has not been properly assigned an IP address. You may be unable to access the internet, typically get Limited Connectivity” or “No Internet Access” error accompanied by a yellow triangle icon with an exclamation mark on the Network icon in the taskbar. It could be due to some critical reason the system is failing to establish a connection. Here in this post, we discuss, Why Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration and how to fix it in Windows 11.
Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration
Usually, every device connected to a network needs an IP address to communicate and the IP address is the identity for that device. But sometimes due to different reasons, it may fail to get an IP address from the DHCP server and that result Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration. or if you are connected to a wifi network you may get the error wifi doesn’t have a valid configuration.
Improper connection, problems with the router or malfunctioning NIC (Network Interface Card), outdated corrupted driver or misconfigured settings are some common reasons behind this problem. And to fix this Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration error, check the connections, disable fast startup, configure the IP address and DNS server, and update the network driver, amongst other methods listed below.
First Restart your Windows PC and router that help fix the problem or clear temporary glitches that may prevent your device get an IP address from the DHCP server.
Next, temporarily disable third-party antivirus and disconnect or uninstall VPN (if configured on your device)
Open Windows service console using services.msc command, locate and make sure the DHCP client service is running state.
Check the connections
There are chances your device fails to get an IP address from the DHCP server because of loose connectivity. Whenever you face Internet connection problems, this is the very first thing you must check whether the connections are in order. And the cable is properly plugged in at both ends.
In addition, remove the cable at both ends and firmly replug the cable.
Once done, check if the problem is fixed and you are able to connect to the Internet.
Disable fast startup
The fast startup feature was introduced to make Windows 11 or 10 PC boot quickly but sometimes it conflicts with the functioning of connected devices due to improper relay of commands and causes problems for your computer. Few users report, that disable the fast boot option helps them fix the no valid IP configuration on Windows 11.
- Press Windows key + R, powercfg.cpl and press the enter key to open the power options window,
- Click on Change what the power buttons do then Change the settings that are currently unavailable link at the top.
- Finally, untick the checkbox for Turn on Fast Startup (recommended) and click on Save Changes at the bottom.
Check Network Adapter Settings
Check and configure the network adapter settings to obtain the IP address and DNS server Address from DHPC server automatically.
- Press Windows key + R, type ncpa.cpl and click ok to open the network connections window,
- Right-click on the active network adapter select properties,
- Check Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties. You will then see the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties window. Enable the following options:
– Obtain an IP Address Automatically
– Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically
Click ok and apply to save changes and check the Internet status, if your device is able to get a valid IP from DHCP server and the Internet working properly.
Reset network configuration
Let’s flush the DNS cache and network configuration, this will remove the old IP address and related information in the system. And request new IP configuration settings from the DHCP server. It’s marked as the ultimate solution to get rid of ethernet or wifi doesn’t have a valid ip configuration on Windows 11 and 10. Even this solution works on devices running Windows 8 and 7 as well.
Press the Windows key + S, type cmd. Right-click on the command prompt and select run as administrator, Click yes if UAC prompt for permission Now perform the following commands one after one and hit the enter key each time.
- netsh winsock reset
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
- ipconfig /flushdns
Performing the above command reset the winsock, release the current IP address and force the DHCP server for a new IP address, And flush the DNS cache. Now close the command prompt and restart your computer. Let’s check if this helps fix the Windows 11 Internet problem ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration
Update or reinstall the network adapter driver
Still need help, There are chances old or corrupted network adapter driver could cause this problem. Update or reinstall the ethernet driver could help fix such a problem.
You can update or reinstall the network driver from the device manager.
- Press Windows key + R, type hdwwiz.cpl and click ok to open the device manager and display all installed device driver list,
- Locate and expand the network adapters, right-click on your ethernet card and choose Uninstall device.
- Click uninstall again when the confirmation dialog box prompts, and checkmark on Delete the driver software for this device.
- Restart your computer, on the next start Windows automatically installs the basic network adapter driver on your PC. Check if the problem is resolved and the internet working properly.
- If Windows fails to install the basic network driver, again open the device manager, click on the action then scan for hardware changes.
Note: Also you should try to reinstall the network interface card using the latest version of the driver from the manufacturer’s portal if reinstalling the Ethernet card does not solve the problem.
Google or Cloudflare DNS
There are chances “Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration” error is caused by some type of inconsistency with the DNS range from your ISP in such cases try to switch to a more reliable public DNS, like Google or Cloudflare.
- Press Windows key + R, type ncpa.cpl and hit the ok key to open the network connections window,
- locate the network adapter that is currently active, right-click on it select Properties from the context menu,
- Under the “This connection uses the following items,” select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP / IPv4) and click on the Properties button below.
- Select the radio button, Use the following DNS server address and set 126.96.36.199 for the preferred DNS server and 188.8.131.52 as your alternate DNS server. (Its Google public DNS)
- In addition, you can use 184.108.40.206 as your preferred DNS server and 220.127.116.11 as your alternate DNS server to use Cloudflare DNS.
- Click ok and apply to save changes, and run the command ipconfig /flushdns to refresh your DNS servers and clear any previously cached network data:
Did the above solutions help fix wifi or ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration on Windows 11? Let us know on the comments below.
- Solved: DHCP is not enabled for local area connection Windows 10 /8.1/ 7
- Solved: DNS Server not responding error on Windows 10
- The official ways to Delay Windows 10 update installation (Home Edition)
- Can’t adjust screen brightness on laptop after Windows 10 update? Try these solutions
- How to Quickly Fix Blue Screen of Death Errors in Windows 10