The print spooler service on Windows, Manages all the print jobs which you send for your printer. And this service works with two system files spoolss.dll / spoolsv.exe and one service. If due to any reason, the print spooler service stopped working or not started then the printer won’t print documents. windows experience problems completing the print jobs. It might cause the following error messages, while Install and use the printer on Windows 10
- The operation could not be completed. The print spooler service not running.
- Windows can’t open Add Printer. The local print spooler service is not running
Well, the simple solution to fix the problem is to start or restart the print spooler service on the Windows service console. But if the print spooler service keeps stopping after start or restarts the service the problem might be related to the corrupted printer driver that was installed on your PC. Reinstalling the printer driver probably helps fix the problem.
Local Print Spooler Service NOT running
Let’s follow the steps below to fix print spooler and printer-related problems, applicable on all windows 10, 8.1, and 7 editions.
If this is the very first time you have encountered the problem, restart the printer and Windows 10 PC. That clear temporary glitch and fix most of the printing problems.
Again its recommend to check the physical USB connection between your PC and printer. If you are using a network printer make sure there is no problem with internal network connectivity.
Check print spooler service status
Whenever you see print spooler errors, the first step you should check the service status is running or not. Also, try to stop and restart the print spooler service following the steps below.
- Press Windows + R keyboard short, type services.msc and click ok
- This will open windows services console,
- Scroll down and locate service named print spooler click it,
- Check the print spooler service status it’s running, Right-click on it select restart
- If the service is not started then double click on print spooler service to open its properties,
Here change the startup type Automatic and Start the Service next to Service status (Refer the image below)
Check Print Spooler Dependencies
- Next on print spooler properties move Recovery tab,
- Here ensure all three failure fields are set to Restart the Service.
- Then move to the Dependencies tab.
- The first box lists all of the system services that must be running for Print Spooler to start, These are the dependencies
- So Make Sure The HTTP and Remote procedure Call (RPC) Service is set to start automatically and The Services are running properly.
- If both the Services running then simply Right-click on it and restart the service to get a fresh start.
- Now Click Apply and ok to make save the changes you have made. Then Check The printer working properly without any failure notice.
Delete your print spooler files
If the above methods failed to fix the problem Then Try to Delete your print spooler files to clear pending print jobs that resolve the problem.
- Open windows services console using services.msc
- locate print spooler service, right-click on and select stop,
- Now navigate to C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS.
- Here Delete all the files in the PRINTERS folder, You should then see This folder is empty.
- Again move to the windows service console and start the print spooler service
Reinstall The Printer driver
Still need help, time look at the printer driver it might causing the problem. First visit printer manufacturers’ websites (HP, Canon, Brother, Samsung), here search by your printer model number, and download the latest available driver for your printer.
Note: If you have a local printer, recommend disconnect the printer USB cable while uninstalling the printer driver following steps below.
- Now open Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Devices and Printers
- Then Right-click on the problematic printer and select remove device.
- Follow on screen instructions to uninstall the printer driver and remove the current printer driver from your PC.
- Once done restart your PC to completely remove the printer driver.
Make sure the printer is connected to your computer.
Now only need to run the latest printer driver. Run the Setup.exe to Run the Setup and install the printer driver. Note :
Also, you can open Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Devices and Printers. Here click on Add a printer and follow on-screen instructions to install the Printer.
Run printer troubleshooter
Also, run the printer troubleshooter that automatically detect and fix printer problems include the printer spooler keeps stopping.
- Press Windows + I keyboard shortcut to open the Settings app
- Click on Update & security then troubleshoot
- Now locate the printer select it, then click Run the troubleshooter.
- This will start to diagnose the process for windows printer problems that prevent print jobs or cause the print spooler to keep stopping.
This Printer troubleshooter will check if:
- You have the latest Printer drivers, and fix and or update them
- If you have connectivity issues
- If the Print Spooler and required Services are running fine
- Any other Printer related issues.
Once the diagnose process completes restart your system and check if it helps resolve the problem.
- Solved: Windows Cannot Connect to the Printer, Access is denied
- Printer in Error State? Here how to fix printer problems on windows 10
- Solved: Operation could not be completed (Error 0x00000709) printer
- Here are the 5 Best Password Managers for Windows 10
- Solved: Printer stopped working after windows 10 update