One of the security features that comes with Windows is often cast aside without much of an afterthought. The ability to create, remove and edit users of a Windows computer gives the owner access and control of their device. Even the average family computer should have these features enabled to take better control of what happens on the computer.
Whether you need to keep prying eyes from some files or have different guests use the computer, there are ways to set up different user accounts. And it is not a process that needs expert computer knowledge, either. It is simple to do and maintain. And once you learn how to create and remove users on your computer, you will have more control and security.
Setting Up a Microsoft Account on Windows 10
Every new iteration of the Windows operating system brings some changes. So you can expect changes to even the most basic functions. When it comes to users on Windows 10, a lot has changed from the previous OS. You no longer can create generic guest accounts, as you need a Live ID to access just about everything.
Adding a new user is still easy to do; it is only a little different now. You want to start by clicking the following functions:
Start > Settings > Accounts > Family & other people
You will see a few different options to add a new user to the computer. If it is a member of the family, there is an area for that. Family members are going to have the same access restrictions, depending on if they are adults or children.
- Child Account. If you select this option, any adult account will be able to change access restrictions and even time limits per account. Your child will need an email address to proceed. You also can monitor their activity by logging in on the Microsoft website.
- Adult Account. Adult accounts are all the same, as they have access to all apps and programs that are available. Each user needs their email address associated with the account. You can add administrator privileges where required.
Once you’ve created and confirmed the account, there is only one last step in the process. The individual must enter their email and accept the invitation to join the network. It is as simple as clicking on a link. But they must do it before the account can be finalized.
How to Add “Guests”
While the generic guest account is now a thing of the past, there are still ways to add other people to the computer. In the same menu as before, there is an option to add “other people” to the account. The process is pretty much the same. The guest will need either an email address or mobile number to register.
Although the old guest option is no longer available, this works even better for guests, especially ones that use your PC more than once. By using their email or mobile number, all their settings and preferences will be there when they log in. No more changing the guest options every time someone new uses it.
Remember to Stay Safe and Secure
When Microsoft made these changes to user accounts in Windows 10, they did it both for convenience as well as security purposes. These days the threat of cybercriminals is ever-present. Keep your computer and accounts protected.
Windows computers already come with in-built antimalware software. Many argue Windows Defender is as good as any other commercially available antivirus. And for most users, it is. But it won’t always keep them secure or their data private when they log into public WiFi. Or when they submit data to unsecured websites. That’s where a VPN comes in handy.
What is a VPN? A VPN, or virtual private network, is a premium service that protects you and your browsing from prying eyes. It acts as a tunnel that encrypts your outgoing and incoming data to keep it secure. You also get the added benefit of location spoofing your IP address along with it.
Typical VPN service allows up to 6 simultaneous connections at the same time. So you, your family, or other guests could enjoy private browsing on the computer. Don’t forget to make your VPN app available across all PC user accounts.
Know the New Features
Take the time to create users for everyone who spends time on your computer. This way, you will be able to keep threats to a minimum and allow everyone to access the device.
Delete user accounts in Windows 10
Adding users in Windows 10 is pretty easy, but what if you need to remove someone who doesn’t use it anymore? Here follow the steps below.
- Open the Settings app.
- Select the Accounts option.
- Select Family and Other Users.
- Select the user and press Remove.
- Select Delete account and data.
Or simply open the command prompt and type net user *username /delete.(*replace it with the name of the user)
To permanently delete the user account from your computer
- Again open the command prompt,
- type in “sysdm.cpl” and press the enter key,
- Now move to the Advanced tab
- Hereunder User Profiles click on Settings.,
- from there, you can see the accounts that you want to delete.
- Best Windows 10 Password Recovery Tools
- 3 Different ways to enable administrator account on Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- What are User Account and User Profile on Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- Computer Freezes Randomly after the Windows 10 update? Let’s fix it
- Check What Version of Windows 10 You Have installed on your computer/laptop